ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Medical Oncology of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka provides consultations by Consultant Medical Oncologist and treatment services including chemotherapy, immunotherapy, biotherapy, supportive therapy and palliative care for adult and children cancer patients. The department is fully staffed by specialist Oncology team and supported by allied health professionals. The Medical Oncology Department works closely with surgeons, radiotherapists, haematologists and palliative care physicians, as well as a full range of paramedical staff such as dieticians, occupational therapists and physiotherapists. This close cooperation leads to a well organised, efficient and caring multidisciplinary approach to the management of patients with cancer.
Note: Surgeries for cancer and tumours are handled by Department of General & Laparoscopic Surgery or other relevant specialties.
Our Medical Oncology services include:
- In-patient care
- Out-patient consultation
- In-patient consultation
- Day Care Unit activity (chemotherapy, blood transfusions, etc.)
Consultation & Appointments
The department provides consultation services through highly qualified and experienced Consultants, who carefully evaluate each patient. After diagnosing the patient’s condition, our Consultants discuss available treatment options and recommend the most effective treatment.
Consultants in Department of Medical Oncology:
Our consultation services are multi-disciplinary and sub-specialty based, including:
- General oncology
- Breast cancer
- Lung cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Upper gastro-intestinal cancers
- Neurological cancers
- Urological cancers
Apollo Chemotherapy Day Care Unit is located in level-2 of the hospital.
HOW TO GET ADMIITTED IN CHEMOTHERAPY DAY CARE UNIT
The Day Care Unit is a unique wing of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka to help patients with specific need-based treatment in an out-patient basis. Patients in Day Care are those who undergo procedures not requiring overnight nursing care or stay in the hospital. Patients can have the procedure and then rest and be monitored in Day Care Unit for a few hours after the procedure. Afterwards, they can return home that same day. The hospital has four Day Care Units, all of which provide proper monitoring and care by staff nurse and Consultants who are in touch at all times about patient's condition. All beds in Day Care Unit are equipped with life supports. Tariff for availing Day Care Unit facility (maximum 6 hours stay) is Tk. 400 per hour..
Apollo Chemotherapy Day Care Unit is dedicated to providing chemotherapy services for the management of cancer patients. Medical oncologists at Apollo often utilize chemotherapy, which uses systemic treatment in the form of intravenous injections of anticancer drugs or, less commonly, oral medications to kill cancer cells. Chemotherapy has the ability to reach cancer that may have spread, even microscopically, throughout the body. Chemotherapy sometimes involves biologic therapies, including antibodies and tumor growth inhibitors. Both traditional and innovative therapies are used. Each drug or combination is unique, and the type best suited to the patient and his/her disease will be selected.
Chemotherapy is usually given in cycles – a treatment period followed by a recovery period. Each cycle is usually several weeks long. Drugs are given on selected days, often weekly or monthly. Patients are usually given additional drugs to prevent possible side effects, which may include nausea, vomiting or allergic reactions. To ensure patient safety, blood counts are checked frequently to adjust the dose or intervals between therapy. Most patients receive therapy in an outpatient setting. Patients sit in a comfortable chair in pleasant surroundings and are able to read, sleep, watch TV or talk with friends and family during treatment.
For information and appointments regarding Chemotherapy, please call us at 8401661 Ext. - 1150
- Collect an Admission Form from your Consultant before taking admission
- Fill-up the Admission Form and go to Admission Desk (level-1) with the completed form & payment
- Officers at the Admission Desk will send you to be admitted in Chemotherapy Day Care Unit
For a more detailed guide, go to our Admission & Payment page
IMPORTANT POINTS ABOUT TESTS/PROCEDURES/SURGERIES, YOUR REPORTS & BILLING ENQUIRIES
- To schedule a test/investigation, please call the relevant OPD front desks.
- Your lab investigation samples are to be deposited in the Sample Collection Room located in the hospital’s atrium, which is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 7.00 am to 10:00 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 7.00 am to 3.00 pm.
- Your investigation reports can be collected from Report Delivery Room by showing the receipt of payment. The hospital shall not be responsible for reports not collected within 30 days after the tests were done. Report Delivery Room is also located in the hospital’s atrium, and is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 8.00 am to 8.30 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- You will not be able to collect your investigation reports without your receipt of payment. If you have lost your receipt, you may collect a duplicate copy from our Billing Executives (Corporate Desk, Atrium - level 1).
- You can request duplicate copy of your investigation reports from the Report Delivery Room, inclusive of BDT 100 additional charge.
- Procedures & Surgeries:
- If you are interested in undergoing a procedure or surgery, please see our relevant Consultant first.
- To search for a Consultant, go to Find Consultant page and for appointments, go to Make Appointment page.
- In-patient Reports
- A Discharge Summaryis provided to a patient upon his/her discharge from the hospital. A discharge summary is a summary of the events during hospitalization of the patient. It outlines the patient's chief complaint, the diagnostic findings, the therapy administered and the patient's response to it, and recommendations on discharge.
- To request for detailed in-patient medical reports or to make an insurance claim, refer to our Medical Report page.
For queries on charges, contact our Billing Department (Corporate Desk, Atrium - level 1) or call/e-mail our Billing Executives: