ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Lab Medicine Department of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka has become the leading diagnostic laboratory in Bangladesh by virtue of its uniqueness in offering diverse tests, reliability and prompt turn around time. We provide state-of-the-art reliable diagnostic services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for patients, general practitioners and other hospitals in the country. The department is also a regional and national referral centre for specialized tests. Lab Medicine Department, in saving countless lives, is running no way behind the clinical departments. A medical diagnostic laboratory is more than the backbone of a treating physician; it is the very soul of diagnosis.
As far as accuracy and reliability goes, there is a huge difference between the Lab Medicine Department of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka and other diagnostic facilities in the country. Consultancy in Biochemistry, Microbiology and Clinical Pathology in other labs of the country are mostly done by non-medical personnel, but at Apollo, it is done by qualified post-graduate medical personnel who have vast knowledge and experienced in the variation, pit-falls and loop-holes of lab reports and need not manipulate the reports, which is frequently done in other medical labs in the country.
Lab Medicine Department of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka, located in level-2 of the hospital, has five laboratories with each lab under supervision of post-graduate doctors. The department has the following laboratories:
1. Clinical Biochemistry
3. Clinical Pathology
4. Microbiology & Immunology
Prof. ( Dr.) Tareak-Al-Nasir
MBBS, M. Phil (Path) Fellow Immunology (UK), FRCP (Edin), D. Med. (Aus.)
Coordinator & Senior Consultant – Lab Medicine
| View Consultant Profile | Make Appointment |
COMMON LAB TESTS
Lab Medicine Department provides diagnostic services every day of the week, 24 hours a day. We offer hundreds of lab tests with new additions timely. Many of our latest tests are not offered anywhere else in the country.
The following are common lab tests performed done by the department:
- Blood Sugar (Fasting/Random)
- Lipid profile
- Liver Function Test (ALB,TP,SGOT,SGPT,GGT,ALK)
- Electrolytes (NA,K,CL,HCO3)
- Blood Gases (ABG)
- PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
- Troponin I
- Stool/Urine R/M/E (Routine)
- Mantoux Test (MT)
- Semen Analysis
- CBC (Complite Blood Count)
- HB%/ESR/Platelet Count
- ICT for Malaria
- Bone Marrow Biopsy Procedure & Opinion
- Pap Smear
- Blood CS
- Urine CS
- Stool CS
- Dengue IGG & IGM
- ICT For Filaria
The Department has added many new and unique lab tests recently. The following are the new additions:
- Serum Fructosamine
- Inhibin B
- Leptospira Antibody
- Rotavirus Antigen
- Salmonella Typhi IgG/IgM
- QuantiFERON TB Gold Test
- Coagulation Screening Test
- Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE)
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin (AAT)
QUALITY CONTROL PROGRAM
Lab Medicine Department of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka is committed to assuring quality and maintaining JCI (Joint Commission International) standards. The following are our quality assurance programs:
Pre-Analytical Quality Control
- Patient identification by UHID and Patient name from wrist band/ registration card
- Universal precaution
- Collection of sample in appropriate vacutainer/ appropriate container
- Bar code labeling and transport to the lab
Analytical Quality Control
- Man behind the machine and appropriate technology
- Internal Quality Control: Two levels of quality control materials run everyday in the hospital
- External Quality Control Program with BIO-RAD, USA every month
- Proficiency Testing with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University & AFIP
Post-Analytical Quality Control
- Finalization of test result by Registrar/Consultant after viewing the history in HIS
- Effective communication: Critical Call Back
- Fastest Turn Around Time
- Emergency: 45 minutes to 1 hour
- IPD: 1 hour to 2 hours
- Clinico-pathological conversation/meeting with clinical counter part.
New Quality Control Parameters
The hospital has introduced a range of newer parameters for quality control which are not done anywhere else in Bangladesh. These include:
- New studies
- Cystatin C
- Lipoprotein A
- Protein C, Protein S
- Platelet Aggregation Studies
- TB IgM, IgG IgA
- ENA Profile
- C1 Esterase Inhibitor
- 24-hour Frozen Section service.
- Review of Histopathology slides and blocks from outside sources for second opinion.
We have developed Critical Call Back protocol, which is regularly maintained in the hospital. We are proud to be the pioneer in Bangladesh to introduce the system of Critical Call Back in Lab Medicine Department of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka, which was highly appreciated by the survey team of Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) during our accreditation process.
- Introduction of External Quality Control/ Profanely Test within the country (with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University and AFIP) and out side the country (with BIO-RAD Laboratory, California, USA). Histopathology Quality Control is done by inter-institutional review for some selected cases.
IMPORTANT POINTS ABOUT TESTS/PROCEDURES/SURGERIES, YOUR REPORTS & BILLING ENQUIRIES
- To schedule a test/investigation, please call the relevant OPD front desks.
- Your lab investigation samples are to be deposited in the Sample Collection Room located in the hospital’s atrium, which is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 7.00 am to 10:00 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 7.00 am to 3.00 pm.
- Your investigation reports can be collected from Report Delivery Room by showing the receipt of payment. The hospital shall not be responsible for reports not collected within 30 days after the tests were done. Report Delivery Room is also located in the hospital’s atrium, and is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 8.00 am to 8.30 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- You will not be able to collect your investigation reports without your receipt of payment. If you have lost your receipt, you may collect a duplicate copy from our Billing Executives (Corporate Desk, Atrium - level 1).
- You can request duplicate copy of your investigation reports from the Report Delivery Room, inclusive of BDT 100 additional charge.
- Procedures & Surgeries:
- If you are interested in undergoing a procedure or surgery, please see our relevant Consultant first.
- To search for a Consultant, go to Find Consultant page and for appointments, go to Make Appointment page.
- In-patient Reports
- A Discharge Summaryis provided to a patient upon his/her discharge from the hospital. A discharge summary is a summary of the events during hospitalization of the patient. It outlines the patient's chief complaint, the diagnostic findings, the therapy administered and the patient's response to it, and recommendations on discharge.
- To request for detailed in-patient medical reports or to make an insurance claim, refer to our Medical Report page.
For queries on charges, contact our Billing Department (Corporate Desk, Atrium - level 1) or call/e-mail our Billing Executives: