ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Located in the basement level of the hospital, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation is an established centre with well equipped facilities and qualified consultant, physiotherapists and occupational therapists, working as a team to provide holistic and integrated rehabilitation services. The primary goal of this centre is to provide specialized, comprehensive and evidence-based rehabilitative services of the highest quality to patients. It is a unique centre and probably the only one of its kind in Bangladesh.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre helps patients regain the most independent level of functioning after severe injury, trauma, and illness. Our services are not only aimed at a particular condition or disability, but are coordinated to address the total well-being of the individual and needs of the family and caregivers. Through individual and group therapy sessions, our therapists utilize their professional knowledge, therapeutic skills and resources to address various needs of patients ranging from children to elderly with supervision of a Rehabilitation consultant. In addition to providing rehabilitative services, we also provide educational talks to organizations and the public.
services & facilities
The Centre is dedicated to Physiotherapy Therapy and Occupational Therapy. It has a full time Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Consultant, Dr. Md. Mohiuddin Araf, trained in advanced pain management & neuro-rehab from England. The Consultant provides direct care to patients and supervises therapists, ensuring that all patients receive an exceptional level of treatment. We utilize modern therapeutic facilities from leading companies in the field of physiotherapy, which provides directness and efficiency in our treatments, and ensure the safety of our patients.
The Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre provides a range of services for its patients:
- Pain Management (back pain, neck pain, etc.)
- Comprehensive Neuro and Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Paediatric Rehabilitation
- Geriatric Rehabilitation
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology Rehabilitation (pre- & post- natal)
Consultation & Appointments
Patients can make appointments for consultation or for availing rehabilitation services:
The centre offers dynamic consultation services specialising in musculo-skeletal conditions. We have qualified Consultant for patients suffering from simple low back pain, neck pain to complex post-stroke conditions. Physically challenged patients, e.g. adults and children with cerebral palsy, chronic disabling conditions and chronic pain syndromes, are also cared for in our clinic. Our Consultant carefully evaluates each patient, discuses available treatment options, and recommends the most effective treatment.
Dr. Md. Mohiuddin Araf
MBBS, MD (AIIMS, India), Trained in Advanced Pain Management and Neuro-Rehab (England)
Coordinator & Consultant - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
| View Consultant Profile | Make Appointment |
For Rehabilitation Services:
To make appointment for our occupational therapy or physiotherapy services, please contact us:
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre
Apollo Hospitals Dhaka
Phone: (02)-8401661, Ext - 2159
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The centre offers Occupational Therapy, which is a health care profession dedicated to helping people with physical, psychological and social problems in order to enhance and restore their functional ability. The aim of Occupational Therapy is to allow those who are temporarily or permanently disabled to be as independent as possible in areas such as personal and domestic activities of daily living, i.e. washing, dressing, feeding etc. Occupational Therapy is used to teach special ways of doing everyday things, including the provision of aids and equipment if needed. Occupational Therapists at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka plan courses of treatment, which are individually tailored to the needs of patients and their families or careers. We work with individuals having neurological and orthopaedic conditions, hand and myofacial pain, childhood and development disorders, and mental health disorders.
Occupational Therapy is offered to both in-patients and out-patients in the following areas:
Hand and Myofacial Therapy
- Rehabilitating patients with upper limb injuries (e.g. fractures, nerve compressions, etc.) to increase functional use of their hands.
- Providing splints and other assistive devices/ equipments to protect the hand, as well as facilitating hand functions.
- Assessing and improving worker’s ability to return to work, as well as work site visits.
- Managing soft tissue pain and tension headaches through Trigger Point Therapy.
- Providing ergonomic assessment and consultations.
Neurology and Orthopaedics
- Providing neuro-muscular facilitation and inhibition to gain the desired corrective movement of the affected parts of the body
- Minimizing the adverse effect of neuromuscular dysfunction on activities of daily life.
- Retraining patients with neurological disorders and orthopaedic conditions (e.g. stroke, lower-limb amputations, etc.) in performing daily activities
- Retraining cognitive and perceptual functions (e.g. concentration/attention span, problem-solving skills, etc.)
- Providing education and training for patients’ caregivers
- Conducting home visits and providing recommendations for adaptations
- Addressing delayed developmental milestones in children
- Treating children with congenital and developmental conditions for them to cope and have necessary skills to learn and play.
- Conducting parent education groups to increase understanding in topics of interest, such as “sensory integration” and “floor time”.
- Rehabilitating persons with mental health concerns to improve their functional status in daily living
- Providing training on Life Skills
- Providing stress management assessment and training Conducting vocational training and social skills group.
Physiotherapy is a health care profession which uses physical therapeutic means and exercises to ensure maximum recovery and early independence of patients. The treatment of the patient is usually prescribed to relieve pain, restore normal function and strength, prevent further injury, and promote healthy living and lifestyles.
Our physiotherapists are all highly qualified with years of training, working closely with consultants and specialists to ensure that patients receive a highly focused course of treatment and care tailored to their individual needs. Our holistic approach means we take the time to understand the patient's condition, home-living situation and work environment, so that the best treatment and advice can be given. In addition to devising and implementing orthopaedic rehabilitation programmes our physiotherapists are highly experienced in sports injuries.
There is a range of Physiotherapy services offered in the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre. We have specialised programmes like pelvic floor exercise, cardiac & pulmonary rehabilitation, Back-To-Fitness (Back, Neck and Shoulder Strengthening), and lymphoedema management. We also provide health education on a number of topics.
- Pelvic Floor Exercise Programme: This is an exercise programme that is targeted for all women with incontinence problems, designed to teach them strategies to incorporate their pelvic floor muscles with everyday activities like walking, sitting and even slow jogging. In addition, the programme also includes flexibility, core-stability and relaxation exercises which help to promote well-being of all clients.
- Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation Programme: The Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation programme is one of the oldest and most established programmes targeting clients after heart/lung surgery and interventions with the primary aim to help the clients achieve their optimal health status both physically and psychologically. This programme also includes education, and advises on the control of body weight, diet and stress, with the aim of lifestyle modification to reduce the risk of heart and lung disease.
- Back-To-Fitness (Back, Neck and Shoulder Strengthening Programme): This programme is targeted at patients with low back pain and it focuses on cardiovascular fitness and Pilates mat work to strengthen the transversus abdominus muscle. The transversus abdominus muscle has been shown in research to alleviate low back pain by supporting the back and by promoting general well being.
- Lymphoedema Management: Lymphoedema is a persistent swelling usually affecting an arm, leg or any part of the body. Physiotherapy aids in restoring the limb to its normal size, thereby restoring clients to their previous lifestyle. The treatment includes manual lymph drainage, prescription of compression bandaging or pressure garments and a home maintenance programme.
Our services also include the promotion of healthy lifestyles through patient and public education talks. We provide teaching on the following topics:
- Back Care Advice
- Office/Workplace Ergonomic/Wellness Assessments
- Injury Prevention
- Public Talks covering a wide spectrum of topics