about the department
Neurosurgery is the surgical specialty concerned with diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of patients with disorders that affect the nervous system, including the brain, spinal column, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and extra-cranial cerebrovascular system. These disorders may be due to a birth defect, traumatic injury, cancer or other reasons.
Department of Neurosurgery of Apollo Hospitals Dhaka employs a multidisciplinary approach to providing comprehensive neurosurgical services, utilizing state-of-the-art equipments and facilities. Our team consists of expert neurosurgeons, neuro
nurses and technicians. We also have skilled doctors from other departments for support with Neurosurgery subspecialties. The department has already performed over two thousand highly demanding, successful neurosurgeries since 2005.
Apollo Neurosurgery Department offers surgery and management of a variety of neurological conditions in both adults and children; the most common include:
- Traumatic brain & spine injuries
- Brain haemorrhage
- Brain & spine tumours and infections
- Cerebrovascular disorders like aneurysm, arteriovenous malformations (AVM), vascular malformations, ischemic disorders, and stroke
- Movement disorders like Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, tremor, and spasticity
- Nerve disorders like nerve injury & tumours, and entrapment syndromes
- Spine and peripheral nerve disorders
- Congenital disorders like hydrocephalus and others.
A wide range of neurosurgical services are offered by the hospital for treatment of neurological disorders:
consultation & appointment
Consultation services with expert Neurosurgery Consultants are offered for out-patients for assessing the need for non-emergent neurosurgery. All surgery candidates have pre-operative and post-operative check-up. Some patients are followed with repeated check-ups over years.
Consultants in the Department of Neurosurgery:
Apollo neuroradiologists perform x-rays of the skull for evaluating the fractures of the bones of the skull and detecting other conditions of the skull and brain.
| Make Appointment for X-ray: Call Radiology Reception at 8401661 Ext.-1313 |
- CT Scan and CT Angiogram (CTA)
Apollo radiologists use the most advanced CT technology (64 slice CT scanner) to obtain the greatest possible visual detail of the patient’s brain.
| Make Appointment for CT Scan/CTA: Call Radiology Reception at 8401661 Ext.-1313 |
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI ) & Magnetic Resonance Angiogram (MRA)
Apollo offers advanced high-field MRI technology (1.5 tesla) that utilizes powerful magnetic fields and radiofrequencies to help us make accurate diagnoses of neurological disorders.
| Make Appointment for MRI/MRA: Call Radiology Reception at 8401661 Ext.-1313 |
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
An electroencephalogram (EEG) at Apollo is one of many diagnostic procedures performed to measure electrical brain activity.
| Make Appointment for EMG/NCS: Call Neurology Reception at 8401661 Ext.-1124 |
- Electromyography (EMG) & Nerve Conduction Study (NCS)
Electromyography (EMG) involves testing the electrical activity of muscles, while Nerve Conduction Study (NCS) measures the conducting function of nerves.
| Make Appointment for EMG/NCS: Call Neurology Reception at 8401661 Ext.-1124 |
- Evoked Potentials Studies
Apollo neurologists have specialized expertise in using evoked potentials studies (first in Bangladesh) to assist in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders. The hospital offers visual, auditory and brainstem Evoked Potentials Studies.
| Make Appointment for Evoked Potentials Studies: Call Neurology Reception at 8401661 Ext.-1124 |
- Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap)
Neurologists at Apollo Hospitals Dhaka are experienced in using lumbar puncture (also known as a “spinal tap”) in developing an accurate diagnosis for neurological conditions.
- Muscle Biopsy & Histopathology Service
Histopathologists of Apollo Lab Medicine Department use variety of procedures to diagnose muscular dystrophy, myasthenia gravis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and other neuromuscular conditions, including a muscle biopsy.
Imaging tests are reported by qualified and experienced neuro-radiologist; neurophysiology studies are conducted and supervised by trained and experienced neuro-physiologist, and reported by qualified neurologist and clinical neuro-physiologist.
The department offers full range of neurosurgeries, including endoscopic and micro-neurosurgery with international standard facilities like:
- State-of-the-art purpose built operation theatre
- High magnification operating microscope for microsurgeries, as well as special microsurgical instruments
- Endoscopes for minimally invasive and endoscopic surgeries
- Highly skilled neurosurgeons and medical team
- Sophisticated anaesthetic techniques
General Neurosurgeries commonly performed by Apollo Neurosurgery Department include:
- Surgery for all head and spinal injuries, intracranial haemorrhage (subdural, extradural and intracerebral haematoma), congenital cranial and spinal malformations, epilepsy, brain and spine infections, etc.
- Clipping of cerebral aneurysm, the rupture of which causes subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Surgery for cranio-vertebral junction pathology
- Microvascular decompression of trigeminal neuralgia
- Repair of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) shunt for hydrocephalus, cysto-peritoneal, theco-peritoneal, and thaco-plural shunt.
- Intracranial pressure monitoring for benign intracranial hypertension
- Cranioplasty for skull deformity
- Microdiscectomy, laminectomy, laminoplasty, and foraminotomy for lower back pain and radiating pain in lower limbs
- Lumbar interbody fusion with pedicle screw fixation for lower back pain and instability of lumbar spine (spondylolisthesis)
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for neck pain and radiating pain in the upper limbs, myelopathy, or radiaculopathy
- Cervical corpectomy and fusion for infection or fracture in the cervical spine
- Lateral mass screw fixation for cervical spine instability
- Percutaneous vertebroplasty
- Carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve decompression for hand and finger pain
- Nerve and muscle biopsy
- CSF Resistance outflow study for normal pressure hydrocephalus to determine if the patient will be benefited from CSF shunt treatment.
NEURO ONCOLOGY SURGERY
The department offers treatment for all sorts of brain and spine tumours, including intra & extramedullary, supra & infratentorial, sellar & suprasellar, and skull base tumours. Our surgeons have expertise in meningiomas, pituitary adenomas and vestibular schwannomas (acoustic tumours). Tumours surgeries involve endoscopic and micro-surgeries. Further management of these cancer patients is provided by our medical oncologists with chemotherapy facilities.
The department offers treatment for neurological disorders in children and adolescents. We specialize in surgeries like brain and spine tumours & injuries, shunts, cranial & spinal dysraphism, idiopathic adolescent scoliosis, epilepsy, movement disorders, cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus and other congenital disorders, etc. Neurosurgeons work closely with paediatric physicians and other specialists to provide the highest level of coordinated care to children.
NEURO INTENSIVE CARE & NEURO ANAESTHESIA
Apollo Hospitals Dhaka has a complete Neuro Intensive Care Unit (NICU) which provides specialized care for patients with acute, life-threatening neurological illness or injury. All patients are looked after by dedicated neuro anaesthesiologist.
Conditions requiring intensive care include stroke, traumatic brain and spine injury, subarachnoid hemorrhage, aneurysm, autoimmune and movement disorders (Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, Gullian-Barre, etc.). A team of critical care professionals are present 24/7 to monitor every patient and to tend to every need using advanced technology and facilities.
Emergency situations are dealt by Accident & Emergency Centre. Please call 10678 during any emergency. After stabilization of an emergency neurological patient, he/she is most often transported to Apollo Neuro Intensive Care Unit for further treatment.
Neuro rehabilitation is provided to patients, as needed, pre- and post- surgery by Apollo Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre. Rehabilitation services, including occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech therapy, aim to aid in the management or recovery of patients with neurological injury or illness, and to minimize and/or compensate for any functional alterations resulting from it. Patients are provided with specialized out-patient and in-patient rehabilitation services and are offered comprehensive services and care of the highest quality. We have expert Consultant who supervises the patient’s rehabilitation through a wide range of therapies. For more information on our physical medicine & rehabilitation services and facilities, please click Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Centre.
IMPORTANT POINTS ABOUT TESTS/PROCEDURES/SURGERIES, YOUR REPORTS & BILLING ENQUIRIES
- To schedule a test/investigation, please call the relevant OPD front desks.
- Your lab investigation samples are to be deposited in the Sample Collection Room located in the hospital’s atrium, which is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 7.00 am to 10:00 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 7.00 am to 3.00 pm.
- Your investigation reports can be collected from Report Delivery Room by showing the receipt of payment. The hospital shall not be responsible for reports not collected within 30 days after the tests were done. Report Delivery Room is also located in the hospital’s atrium, and is open on working days (Saturday-Thursday) from 8.00 am to 8.30 pm, and on Fridays and holidays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- You will not be able to collect your investigation reports without your receipt of payment. If you have lost your receipt, you may collect a duplicate copy from our Billing Executives (Corporate Desk, Atrium - level 1).
- You can request duplicate copy of your investigation reports from the Report Delivery Room, inclusive of BDT 100 additional charge.
- Procedures & Surgeries:
- If you are interested in undergoing a procedure or surgery, please see our relevant Consultant first.
- To search for a Consultant, go to Find Consultant page and for appointments, go to Make Appointment page.
- In-patient Reports
- A Discharge Summaryis provided to a patient upon his/her discharge from the hospital. A discharge summary is a summary of the events during hospitalization of the patient. It outlines the patient's chief complaint, the diagnostic findings, the therapy administered and the patient's response to it, and recommendations on discharge.
- To request for detailed in-patient medical reports or to make an insurance claim, refer to our Medical Report page.
For queries on charges, contact our Billing Department (Corporate Desk, Atrium - level 1) or call/e-mail our Billing Executives: